The Hamilton County Genealogical Society is proud to announce that The Tracer, our quarterly members-only journal, is the 2019 winner of the National Genealogical Society Newsletter Competition in the category of Major Genealogical and/or Historical Society (over 500 members). The Tracer has won the NGS award three of the four times it was nominated for the competition, in 2007, 2014, and now in 2019.
The NGS Award Committee used the following criteria – interest, variety, and originality of the material; quality of the writing and editing; readability; and attractiveness – when making its decision. The award was presented by Ben Spratling, NGS president, to Eileen Muccino, Tracer editor, on May 8 at the NGS Conference in St. Charles, Missouri (photo above).
- The June 2019 issue of our journal The Tracer is now available on our website in the Members Area. The contents of this issue are:
- Cincinnati Incorporated, the Queen City in 1819
- Genealogy Programs
- Chapter News
- Calendar of Genealogy Events
- Growth and Conflict in Cincinnati, the Next Twenty Years
- Cincinnati & Hamilton County Published Sources of Early History
- Plan of the Town of Cincinnati by Colonel Israel Ludlow 1802
- Remembering Gail Burkholz (1937 – 2019)
- Oldenburg Church Books Now Available on Matricula
- Two Books from Catholic Archives in Vechta Donated to Public Library
- Overcoming Unique Challenges in Jewish Genealogy
- African American Society Columns in Cincinnati Newspapers 1884 – 1896
- Nast Trinity Church, Digital Library Additions
- Book Review: Visiting Your Ancestral Town: A Walk in the Footsteps of Your Ancestors, CAROLYN SCHOTT
- Findmypast has announced that, "Over 405,000 sacramental register entries covering 103 Parishes across the Dioceses of Cincinnati are now available to search online for the first time. These new collections consist of indexes of baptisms, marriages, burials and congregational records spanning the years 1800 to 1979." Please note these are indexed transcripts rather than images, and they were provided by a third party, not by the HCGS, and may be incomplete.
- A new Article Index for our quarterly journal The Tracer covering the years 2008 - 2018 has been added to this website. The earlier article index covering the years of publication 1979 - 2008 remains available.
- Approximately 40,000 WPA Veteran Grave Cards (Revolutionary War–Vietnam War) are now available to the public for searching and download via our Cemeteries page.
Search this website
Search for your Hamilton County, Ohio, ancestors listed among the HCGS public databases. Can't find something? Look it up in the HCGS Site Index or by searching our site:
page modified: 06/13/2019 RTB
Researching Roman Catholic Church Records - Thursday, July 11, 7:00pm
RESCHEDULED FROM MAY 28!
Upcoming program with Jeff Herbert. Click image for details.
New video posted to DNA Interest Group
Click on the image for more information.
Honoring the Past with a Gift to the Future - August 17th - 11:00 - 4:00
Mark your calendar for a Writing Workshop August 17th. Details to follow.
New book for sale
Archdiocese of Cincinnati Roman Catholic Baptism Records - Early – 1859 Excluding Hamilton County). Click image above for more info.